Lesson 4 - venerdì 25 novembre 2011

SONG
For once in my life - Tony Bennet - chosen by Danila (you can find the lyrics and the video in the section "Musica" under "Canzoni")


TEXTBOOK
New English File Advanced - Oxford University Press - Clive Oxenden and Christina Latham-Koenig


UNIT 4A: HISTORY GOES TO THE MOVIES
Es. 5b p. 55: listen and answer the questions
Es. 5d p. 55: answer the question and comment
Es. 6a p. 55: listen and complete
1) obviously
2) all in all
3) in fact
4) apparently
5) basically


UNIT 4B: HELP YOURSELF
Es. 1a p. 56: answer the questions and comment
Es. 1b p. 56: read and comment
Es. 1c p. 56: read and comment
Es. 1e p. 57: answer the questions and discuss
Es. 3d p. 57: try to persuade your mates to do something for you


HOMEWORK CORRECTION
Grammar bank p. 145 - Discourse markers
Es. a p. 145
1) basically
2) in any case
3) obviously
4) I mean
5) at least
6) all in all
7) by the way
8) otherwise
9) in fact
10) talking of
Es. b p. 145
1) on the whole
2) anyway / in any case / besides
3) after all / I mean
4) talking of
5) by the way / incidentally
6) at least / on the other hand
7) actually
8) in other words
9) as far as...is concerned
10) otherwise
11) on the one hand, on the other hand
Guess the sentence - Student A p. 117
Es. a p. 117
1) A lot of people say the book is better than the film, but actually I preferred the film.
2) He's supposed to be really mean. Apparently, he never buys his wife a present on her birthday.
3) It wasn'ta particular nice day for the garden party, but at least it didn't rain.
4) The sea was blue, the sun shone, and the picnic was marvellous. All in all, it was a great day.
5) On the one hand, dogs are far better company than any other pets, but on the other hand you have to take them for a walk at least twice a day.
6) Make sure your suitcase weughs less than 20 kilos, otherwise you may have to pay extra.
Guess the sentence - Student B p. 119
Es. a p. 119
7) I'm not sure you would enjoy the play and in any case it will be very difficult to get tickets.
8) Some of the teachers aren't very stimulating, but on the whole I think it is a good school.
9) Laura's husbandonly thinks of himself and he always gets his own way. In other words, he is totally selfish.
10) I have my own import-export company. Basically, I buy and sell fruit and vegetables.
11)  I don't feel like going to Miranda's birhtday party and besides, I haven't go tanything to wear.
12) It's no big surprise that Leo didn't do very well in his exams. After all, he didn't study at all.
Es. 2a p. 57
1) ok
2) when I was a child I was often made to do the washing up.
3) I want you  to finish these exercises in five minutes.
4) ok
5) ok
6) I don't mind you not finishing/ if you don't finish everything, but at least eat your vegetables!
7) I suggest you take the 7.30 train - it'll be less stressful than trying to catch the earlier one.
8) ok
9) ok
10) The job involves me travelling abroad at least twice a month.
Grammar bank p. 146 - Verb + object + infinitive or gerund
1) I dislike people answering their mobiles in restaurants.
2) The situation at work made me feel uncomfortable.
3) We have arranged for you to stay with a British family.
4) I don't mind Jane coming, but I'd rather her boyfrined didn't.
5) I would hate you to think I didn't enjoy myself, because I did!
6) I didn't expect you to pay for everything.
7) I would love you to stay for a few days.
8) This job will involve you travelling a lot.
9) I reminded Hannah to do the washing up.
10) I can't imagine you being shy!
11) The money my uncle left me enabled us to buy a bigger flat.
12) The guards prevented us from crossing the border.
13) Would you prefer me to call back/if I called back later?
14) We don't want to risk the car breaking down while we're on holiday.


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento